Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Is it good enough?

When asked the question, "Do you miss home?", my answer is always affirmative like several Indians living in the U.S. But my reason is often different. The most I miss about being away from home is the cultural scene and by that I mean the classical dances (sometimes music too). At home, access to quality dance classes was easy and so was access to quality dance programs. Although top dancers such as Malavika Sarukkai, Alarmel Valli and Birju Maharaj tour the U.S. from time to time, my work has only let me stay in those parts, not often visited by top classical Indian performers, or at such times when the organizers could not afford them. In the places where I have lived/currently live, we usually get the ones that trickle down the cracks, who sometimes turn out to be good and even exceptional, if we got lucky. No offense, there are several dancers who are really really good but not famous. I agree. I have witnessed several such performances in India and have been immensely moved, wondering how these artistes struggle to make ends meet just because they are not as famous as some others. But I am not talking about those here, because such people hardly get a chance to perform as a soloist abroad. I am referring to those artistes that perform extensively in the U.S. and get applauded for "advancing/promoting" their culture but who wouldn't meet the standards if they were to perform anonymously in India (without an American resident label attached to them).

I sometimes visit the website narthaki.com run by Anitha Ratnam, a dancer herself just to keep myself updated on the current dance scene. It is a good source especially for people like me who miss a part of their soul because of the lack of facilities where we live (carpeted floor, neighbours who cant stand the stamping "noise",...) just to make a connection, to feel nostalgic and smile about the good old days of visiting Narada Gana Sabha and Music Academy, to witness the masters perform, to learn a great deal from watching, and to forget one's self in those surroundings. But recently I read something on that forum which made me write the present blog. I had witnessed a Bharatanatyam performance by an artiste and her students when I visited a friend and was quite appalled by the lack of any standard in that show. None of them including the guru exhibited even the basic qualities of a Bharatanatyam dancer (posture, tiredlessness, expressions, eye movements) or the basic grammar of Bharatanatyam such as the half-sitting (aramandi), raised elbows, or even proper postures. Hell, many of them were slouching when they were dancing. They weren't even standing erect!

Someone, most probably a parent of one of the students or someone close to the dancer, must have written a review and posted it on Narthaki. He raved and raved about the quality of the dance because the standard of dancing of these children was so good, it could give the Indian-born dancers a run for their money. Now, as much as I am for parents being proud of their children, I do have to say that this review was over the top. Just because NRIs can afford and stay close to some dancer, they send their girls (usually girls) to a guru and accept whatever this guru teaches as classical dance. They are so proud that they declare that whatever their daughter dances is pure classical dance. I don't know if this is a defense mechanism against anyone who might say that ABCD children are not Indian enough (or are too American), but it is not an accurate depiction of reality(not even close) . Yes, I do find that many ABCD children are very Indian in their upbringing and have some American qualities (which is not at all wrong - why not take the best of everything that you can and be proud of it? Sometimes they are more Indian than some Indian kids in India who are so overcome with their blind love for the west).

The main point of this blog is my curiosity, "Are we celebrating mediocrity because we think that is good enough or because we blindly believe that our children are better than others or because we simply are too ignorant to appreciate quality even when the lack of it stares us in the eye". I have often witnessed little girls dancing or singing Indian classical dance or music (sometimes parents exhibiting them like a show piece in a museum) and someone remarking, "Can you believe an ABCD is so good at this?". In such situations, I have wondered, "Should we encourage this because this is a child or should I tell the parents that what their child is learning is absolute crap?" Why are Indian parents forced to send their children to these classes and get them sub-standard training? The same goes for Indian organizations that invite artistes over to perform dance. Anyone with a brain that functions would have figured out that the NRI audience are easily overcome with gimmicks. Once you have someone famous score the music for what you are performing or add some jazzy backdrops or give a resume that looks good, they pre-determine that the show will be good. They don't understand that the awards you get in India are a dime-a-dozen. Any noun that follows the words "Nrithya" or "Natya" will make a new title and can be awarded even by the Indian Overseas Bank!

Speaking of which, on a personal note, I was once performing as part of an American theater group. There was a solo Bharatanatyam piece in the play and, needless to say, it received rave reviews. But then, who decides if it is good? Sure, the costume and the jewellery would have dazzled everybody, and my dance resume looked good. The audience knew that I had won some championships and had already decided that my dance would be good. I received great reviews in the newspapers and from anyone who had seen the play. But then, in my heart, I knew that my dance in that show was quite sub-standard. I had had very little practice. It was in the middle of my graduate school work and I was exhausted after my school and job everyday even before I got to the show. Yes, I wish I had practised more, but the timing couldn't have been worse. So, do the reviews make me a good dancer? For a layman, probably, yes. But my dance made me a bad dancer during the entire stretch of that show. It was definitely a learning experience for me and I enjoyed working with the people on that show, but the fact remains that my performance was quite abysmal and no amount of good review can change that.

Back to the topic under discussion, if most children are learning crap, is every teacher in the U.S. a bad guru? Do they not care about their students performing badly? Absolutely not. Although there are good schools of music and dance in the U.S., they are a handful and even if the gurus have been wonderful artistes, they often take up 50-200 students to train. When you have such a big class, how can you afford to correct the mistakes of everyone? How can you be sure that every student is keeping their elbows in the unsagging position or that every student is bending to their fullest extent?

Of course, you cannot always blame the teachers. I have also witnessed parents who would join their daughter in a Bharatanatyam class . Once their daughter joins a dance class, they will remain silent for a month. The next month the parent would creep up silently and ask the teacher to teach their daughter to dance for a song so that she can perform in the local temple or a local show. (It usually takes anywhere between 6-12 years to become a trained Bharatanatyam dancer, and yet not reach a professional level. It takes immense practice and dedication to be a Bharatanatyam dancer and no one learns how to dance to a full song before they are well trained in the basic steps which takes about 2.5-3 years. You usually perform before an audience only after this point)

What can a teacher do except say "no"? And how many times can you say no when they keep pressing you to do otherwise? Teachers often get frustrated by such requests. When teachers do not teach such "entertaining numbers", their students often leave. In India, it would be impossible to lay such requests/terms/conditions on a teacher. The teacher is the GURU and he/she is the foremost in the life of the student. What he/she utters is the ultimate word. Unless, a teacher declares that the student is ready for such a project, no one would dare bring up such an idea in India. But all an NRI parent wants to declare to the world is, "My son/daughter is more Indian than yours".

So, parents, if you are reading this, understand that selecting a proper guru is the foremost in training your son/daughter in any art form, but before that please make sure that it is your child that wants to learn the art and not you that wants it for your child. Art comes from passion and unless you are passionate about it, you cannot be forced to learn it. If you have a good guru, learn to respect what they do for your child. It is better to wait than to display mediocrity. You don't ask your child's math teacher to teach your child calculus in first grade (unless your child is Ramanujam). So why not give the same respect for art? And finally do not be proud of mediocrity. If you want people to stop saying, "This is good enough for an ABCD" then display excellence. Until then, only "this" will remain good enough for ABCDs!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading your thoughts.....Shankar Ganesh

Anonymous said...

1. ABCD

Indians living in the U.S. become pround because the American spirit is rajasic (proud). People try to find the reason why they should be proud. In India, humbleness is the virtue. The cultures are opposite in this respect. The notion that "my child is the best because it is my child" comes from the rajasic pride that once destroyed the Vedic culture when there were no hereditary varnams.

2. Guru-shishya relationship in the democratic USA, where "all people are equal" is different from India.

3. Children brought up in the USA are HUGELY different from the Indians. Take a video of a 7-year-old children talking, compare them at a slow speed, see the hand movements, how and where their mind focusses (eye movements will show it), etc.

I do not believe ANYBODY brought up outside SOUTH India can become a great Bharatanatyam dancer.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you say. The expectations of most parents here at Indonesia is not so different too!

Talking about reviews, there are ones that are so pro-artists.

Here are some vicious ones at this blog. http://bharatanatyam2dance.wordpress.com/

This blog publishes such caustic remarks about all dancers (NRI and Indian)especially Urmila Satyanarayanan who is not a somebody in the world of Bharathanatyam.In fact I was so upset with the character maligning that occurs By some ardent fans of students of Sheela Unnikrishnan's Sidevi Nrithyalaya. But this one is just over the top.

So that way Prathiba,I thought the dubious review in Narthaki you are talking about is at least not this vicious and mean.

Anonymous said...

Your comment is duplictaed at
http://bharatanatyam2dance.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/narthaki/
Are you the owner of both the blogs?
Or is your comment plagiarized?

Prathiba said...

I did not post these comments anywhere else. I cant believe that even my writings are being plagiarized!

Prathiba said...

I agree with you, "anonymous". That is the reason I did not comment about those reviews that are written to bring down a dancer just because people want to show that they are better. And just because of this Urmila does not become a bad dancer. She has a class of her own and seasoned audience would know this irrespective of slanderous comments... I used the review just to show the current mentality of proud parents.

MomPhDstudent said...

Dear Prathiba,

Got this blog reference from the "anonymous".I appreciate the maturity that gleams through your replies to the comments.

Anonymous said...

DO you live in BayArea?
Can you also create a healthy unbiased reviews of many dance-classical programs we have here? What do they lack? What should the kids learn more?

My daughter is learning classical for 3 years now. I have been going around and seeing all different arangetrams to see the teacher's calibre. And I found some of them pathetic and many lacking any expressions. Do you have similar thoughts?

Prathiba said...

Unfortunately, I do not live in the Bay Area. If I did, I would have at least had the opportunity of witnessing several programs. I live in a city that rarely has such programs. Sorry! But your comment has given me a good idea for my next blog posting!